- U.S.A. citizen or U.S.A. permanent resident
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a full-time student at an accredited 4-year undergraduate institution located in the United States of America
- Undergraduate University Grade Point Average of 3.3 or higher on a 4.0-point scale or within the top 5 percent of your class
- Having 'Exceptional Financial Need' as certified by your undergraduate institution financial aid office (Federal Register: 80 FR 3236) - see table (updated 8 December 2016).
- Scholarship support
- Paid research training at the NIH during the summer
- Paid employment and training at the NIH after graduation
- Application is online